Thread: Engine jewelry
View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Engine jewelry

Look what I get to do this weekend - put my own motor back together. I freshened it up over the winter after I had excessive leakdown on #2 cylinder.

Here is my case which I split, inspected the bearings, oil pump, intermediate shaft and so on. The main and rod bearings looked new. Those are ARP head studs and a Clewett distributor hole plug.

These are the JB Racing cylinders with the JE pistons already installed. I am using Total Seal rings and on the cylinder on the right, you can see the fire ring sitting on its groove (not installed). That is some pretty cross-hatching you can barely see in this pic. I will not remove the pistons to install the wrist pins and assemble the piston and rods. There is just enough room to pull the piston down and do everything while it sits in the cylinder. However, I hate installing the wrist pin clips regardless.

I just got the heads back from being freshened up by Xtreme Cylinder Heads. The intake valves are stainless with 8mm stems and the exhaust valves are inconel with 8mm stems. On the head on the right, you can see that I welded the air-port (emissions port) closed. You can also see that the heads are shaved (by the previous owner) to bump the compression. Obviously, the fire ring is sitting on the head too. I had custom JE pistons made which does this more effectively with a slight dome profile. The springs are Xtreme's race springs (120lb) with their titanium retainers.

This is a shot of the intake port but it is a better pic of the valve stem radius and guide work. Very cool...

Here is the exhaust port showing the stem radius and a smaller port than the intake (exhaust gas velocity).

As the motor goes together, I'll take more pics to show the progress. I hope to have the car running next weekend, but that might be a bit aggressive working solo.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)