View Single Post
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
I can symphatize with you... I made a couple of serious rookie mistakes when building and installing my motor two weeks ago... I've installed dozens of motors in assorted vehicles but never mated a Porsche engine to gear box. Well i slipped the throw-out bearing over the shaft on the trans hooked it to the detent arm and bolted the engine up...installed the motor/trans...bolted EVERYTHING together and started to do the clutch...
%**&#%^@(%% WTF()**(#&&$%)% GRRRR *(*^(

2 hours later, I pull out the old assembly from the corner of the garage and look at the wear pattern on the pressure plate and throw-bearing... How ingenious...a clutch that pulls versus pushes to release?!!!? So repeat the tearing out of engine unbolting of cv's, etc, etc...to redo it all again the next day!

The other was the green oil seal that was laying on the oilpump mounting bolt which I moved to spread the loctite 574 stuff on the mating surfaces...I sealed the case halfs late at night and discovered it the next morning! So open the case up again...clean the mess up..get new case bolt o-rings and re-seal the case..

Way I see it, If I do my own work, it may take twice as long, I might get a few cuts, scrapes bruises, it may not work the first time, but BY GOD....if somebody else can do it...why can't I! I've learned an incredible amount about my engine internals and underside of my car and now I have twice the confidence to tear into another one.

Only thing that saved me from having to wipe GSR off the hood and fill some bullet holes was when we got around to firing up the engine Wednesday evening....6 revolutions of the crank at most and it started right up.

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)