Thread: Clutch Problem
View Single Post

Garage
I will bet you dollars to donuts it is the guide tube. The throwout bearing is hanging on the guide tube.

I just removed my engine and trans to find out why I was having the same symptoms. My guide tube is grooved from throwout bearing wear.

I had the same symptoms:
- easy clutch to a point, then harder to depress with intermittent delayed or sticking return. In my case the symptoms were not there when the car was cold, but got worse as the engine warmed up. I assume heat was making the clearances close a bit.
- I suspect last clutch job the PO either did not change out the $28 guide tube or did not lubricate it.

Anyway, this is my theory for my problem with the same symptoms as yours. It could be this is your issue as well.

A few points. I did notice if your clutch is out of adjustment, you can depress the pedal to the point the spring under the floorbaord will actually work against you and will try to pull your pedal to the floor. So be sure your clutch cable and pedal are adjusted correctly. I think it is 25mm total cable movement measured at the clutch cable lever.

Good luck

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)