View Single Post

Garage
I recently purchased a 73 911 that sat on a wooden floor in a barn for 10 years. There is no rust underneath, anywhere. It was sitting on 3" thick x 6" to maybe 8" wide rough sawed planks (oak I think) and I'm still amazed at how little rust there is on the car. The only real rust is where the spare tire resided and I'm guessing it just rubbed the paint off over the 25+ years it was on the road. Don't know if I just had some dumb luck or the wood actually prevented the rust, but it sure appears to have worked. The rotors barely showed surface rust, although the calipers were frozen.. to be expected. Even the tires didn't dry-rot, they look brand new and still hold the correct amount of air. Although we don't live on the west coast, we do experience the 3 H's and it's damp even in the winter, especially this past one.
Just my 2 cents, not very scientific!
65 356SC Cab - Sold to get married; 70 T Sunroof Coupe - Sold to buy a house; 82 SC Targa - Sold so the kids could fit in a 'regular' car 86 Coupe - Sold to start a business; 87 Targa - Sold to expand the second house
89 944S2 Daily Driver
73.5CIS Targa Shed Find -under renovation
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)