Thread: 914 SHIFTER
View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
One thing that helps me is to paint a line of "white out" on the linkage before I start to mess with it. The rear linkage lines itself up with the cone shaped set screws, but the little angled peice under the shifter attaches to the forward shift rod with splines. One or two splines off can make a difference. The line helps me find my starting point so I don't end up re-attaching the linkage in the same position, also if I royally screw things up I can at least go back to where I started.

It can also help to have a second person manually shift the trans into a gear at the trans while you match the splines up front and tighten the nut.

Sorry i'm not that desciptive but you'll understand once you get into the center tunnel. My theory (oh no here we go again) is that if the car has ever been totally striped for sand-blasting the shifter wasn't marked before removal, or adjusted after installation. I say this because the two 914's I'v had that were completelry re-painted had shifters that were out of adjustment.
Old 11-24-1999, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)