Thread: 914 SHIFTER
View Single Post

Some may consider the solutions I employed disconcerting, but everything deserves mention at least.

I grew tired, literally, of the yank over into First in my 71 (that's a fairly heavy pull, I think). Stop and go in-town traffic was a drag, mostly across the outside edge of my right thigh with that shifter. So after the installation of all new bushings and a short shift kit I went two steps further: I cut at least an inch off the top end of the shifter and put the knob back on, which both shortened the throw a little further and saved me from having to move my leg every time I went into First. I then used a dremel cutter to cleanly remove some of the length from both the springs that return the stick to center, and reinstalled them in the mount. This reduced the effort necessary to bring the stick over and down into low gear.

I find my stick much more comfortable these days, I've never accidentally hit R, and I never nick any gears. Actually, I can jam into second in an instant, which for some reason is easiest when I gun it and run high revs in First before the shift.

As usual, I don't recommend my methods. Just adding spice to the pot.

--john
Old 11-25-1999, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)