Thread: Engine jewelry
View Single Post

As to the oil filter mod, I agree that it's a very good thing to do, but as Don said, it's a bit involved. First, it requires forfeiting your engine-mounted cooler, which requires some serious cooling up front to make up for the loss. Then it requires an oil filter console from a 964T or a 993, as well as a bunch of pieces from Smart Racing Products to plumb it in. Finally, it requires sheet metal mods to the shrouding that used to encompass the oil cooler. The sheet metal mods you'll have to figure out yourself, but everything else can be purchased from Smart Racing. I used a 993 oil filter console, which I bought used for about $180. It doesn't have the 15 deg tilt, but it doesn't need to. I can easily change the filter in a few minutes.

An engine-mounted filter helps by filtering oil as it goes from the tank to the engine. The factory tank-mounted filter cleans oil only as it returns to the tank from the engine or front cooler. If you get schmutz in the tank from any source (say, during oil filling or level checking), that dirt goes directly into the engine, though the pump, and into the main oil gallery. And dirty oil that comes from the turbo scavenge system goes directly into the tank and isn't filtered at all with the factory filter. So, an engine-mounted filter provides significant benefit.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)