Thread: Fuel Leak
View Single Post

Thumbs up

nocarrier, I recognize your login but can't remember where in S. Fl. you are.

There's lots of of good hydraulic hose shops in the major cities down here to service the local Marine and Aviation industry and there's lots of race teams with the good weather and year round testing.

Probabaly best to use one with older guys behind the counter because they are more experienced and less distracted.

Here in West Palm, Hydraulic Hose Supply in Riviera Beach is good. They are an Aeroquip dealer.
Mako hose out in western West Palm is a good place to buy hose and fittings but I've never had anything made up there.

I like your idea of brazing on steel AN fittings and making your own lines using Areoquip or Earls hose and AN fittings. It's straightforward so anyone thats careful and has the right tools can do it.
I wrap the stainless braided hose with several tight turns of masking tape and then cut the hose with a death wheel (cut off wheel) on a die grinder.
Then remove the tape and you have a nice cut.

One thing to remember when making your hose is don't push the hose all the way onto the barbed inner male piece, leave about 1/16" of an inch so the rubber hose has a little space to squish into when you thread on and tighten down the outer part.

If you want to keep the red and blue or whatever color anodized parts looking pretty, wrap a couple layers of masking tape around them first then clamp the fitting in a bench vise and use a snugged down large crescent wrench to tighten them up.

You can put a rubber or teflon sleeve hose or polyolefin shrink tube over the stainless line to cut down on abrasion if you want and they also have kevlar braided lightweight high pressure/temperature AN hose you can use too.
It's expensive stuff.

The clearances in the fittings are specific for the type and brand of hose used.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)