View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

When I was researching oil filters for my F250 powerstroke, I came across Pure Power. I called and was forwarded to the owner of the company and we talked a while. I told him that I have a 930 and needed oil with a high zinc and phosphorus level and so on. He said he has oil he blends for that, but I would be just well off buying the Rotella 15w40 because it has some of the highest levels for diesel motors. So, I called Shell and spoke to them. They recommended the regular oil (15w40) because of the same reasons and that their synthetic didn't have the additives needed for flat tappets. I asked about synthetic and he (tech engineer at Shell in Houston) said synthetic is just regular oil refined to a higher degree - there is no such thing as a synthetic oil made of anything other than base mineral oil. As I knew in the past, all the goodies are in the additives. Anyway, I've torn into so many of these motors in the past ten years, I personally don't think the latest super-duper professional grade synthetic is any better for our motors than 15w40 Pennzoil or the VR1 Chevron (another excellent choice according to the Shell guy). The biggest question is the turbo itself and what bearings it uses and how you are oiling the cartridge. Oil coking is a function of oil additives and then the base stock itself, but if we're diligent in idling the motor rior to shut down, it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I realize oil is a religion on this forum so take my comments with a grain of salt. I use Rotella 15w40 and a good quality filter. Ironically, I use a Pure Power filter for my truck - it filters down to 2 microns (paper filters are around 20 microns) and oil actually goes through it rather than beside it.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)