Thread: Zork Install
View Single Post

Zork Install

Hello to the group. I was here about 2 years ago when I first found Pelican online. I came here with oil leaks and intent on fixing them. Life got in the way and I have barely driven my car since then.

I have a 79' 930 I bought in '98. A CA smog check forced me to get the car out and rather than fix the leaks from 2 years ago I instead ordered a Zork tube from Brian at RarlyL8. After I have fun for a month or so I will finally try and repair the oil leaks.

I'll post some pictures of the install for you ( I know everyone likes pics!) but here's a description. I am a computer professional with minimal mechanical abilities. I spent maybe 1-1.5 hours removing the rear valence and heat shield. Took my time (had not jacked the car up in a while) and I have minimal tools so trips to Sears were inevitable. I then sprayed all the nuts connecting the turbo to the muffler with WD40 and sprayed the nuts around the wastegate.

Next day I (multiple trips for tools, lunch, etc) spent about 4-5 hours getting the stock muffler and stock wastegate piping off of the car. Could probably do this in half the time now that I understand the process. A few of the nuts were pretty difficult to remove until I figured out the best approach.

I installed the small wastegate dump from RarlyL8 and Zork in less than an hour. Dropped the car to the ground and laughed when I started it. I may have to plan exits and entrances to my neighborhood that are not too early and not too late FYI...the rear valence has not been reinstalled yet. Should be done tomorrow night.

Had to run some errands of course and the car gets serious looks. Not sure they are good or bad but it does have a mean sound and garners attention. I'm very happy with it as I don't drive the car very often. Who am I kidding....I drove all over the place making as much noise as I could....I'm in love with the sound!

Anyhow, this is my first real effort at tackling a project under the car so I now have a bit of confidence to tackle the oil leaks. I'll be posting all my efforts as I do them in an effort to help someone else who might be looking to do the same thing. There is so much valuable info on these boards.

BTW....Brian at RarlyL8 has been fantastic at offering support via email and phone to this rookie mechanic. He's a class act and the parts came quickly and were well packaged. But, I think this is already a well known fact around here based on what I read prior to contacting him.

Thanks,
Brian L

Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)