View Single Post

Re-fix, Rebuild or Replace? An Engine Quandary

Got a quandary. I have a 1975 911 (with a 1980 3.0 liter) with ~60k miles on it. Downside: one of the head stud bolts is broken causing a slight oil weep, which, as we all know will likely get worse and the tear of oil will eventually lead to real tears, based on the financial outlook of my options. I've accepted that my dream car is about to cost me a large sum of money (~$5,000 give or take a couple grand).

So I'm curious what the informed and experienced participants of this forum think about my options.

I spoke with renown Porsche mechanic Jerry Woods today and he was helpful in discussing them at length. I guess the upside is that his shop is a few miles from my house so I can walk home and truly appreciate a running Porsche 911.

They include:

1. Replace head studs. This is the cheapest option. It involves mostly dropping the motor and replacing these damn cheap bolts with ones that don't break. Still over $4k.

2. Rebuilt the motor. This is more expensive but would ostensibly fix any potential problems that would happen down the road. Ideally, the head stud issue would happened at 120k miles and this option would be more obvious. But alas, this is not the case. Also an option here while the motor is out, is to try to do more to it that would squeak out a bit more horse power. Though this 3.0 liter is pretty well optimized as it is.

3. Replace the motor entirely with a 3.2, 3.4 or a 3.6 liter bad boy. Downside is that I'd unlikely get a motor with more documented history than the one currently in the car. My current motor has all its paper work and is no mystery.

I probably have other options. But they're not clear to me as I am far from an expert. The car has a new transmission, a great exhaust system, race oil cooler, steel-braided brake lines, and a handful of other goodies. I love it. Selling it is not an option. I'll push it around without a motor if I have to. Love this car.

Any ideas / feedback?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)