View Single Post

Thanks Paul.

I surely am not a cam expert.

I had heard from one source that even though the there is enough screw travel, if the cam is not built up or a fresh billet is used that maintains the same size base lob circle that it has an effect on cam, rocker, valve geometry. I do not remember the effect but is was one of thouse Ah Ha moments.

However I suspect it is very livable as many have probably done it and we are not building 300k motors like the factory.

There is just is not much meat to work with on a stock 930 cam so at a minimum it would probably have to be welded up anyway.

Not sure about the hardened thing. This used to be a concern many years ago with most the re-profiled aftermarket cams as there were no billets so most were weld up or they had to grind a lot off the base circle to get the bigger lobs they wanted.

Factory Porsche cams were at that time considered superior to most all the aftermarket cams.

I know the last set of cams I had to have repaired because I lost a lob because of a spray bar issue, the grinder was very specific about lube and brake in procedure. Not that that says anything.

I'm still learning.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)