View Single Post

Garage
1987 Porsche 930 with no spark

Hello everyone. I am 40 and finally bought a 930 after wanting one since I was a teenager. The car has 122,000 miles on the chassis and about 6500 on the engine, tranny and turbo rebuild. The rebuild was a little over 2 years ago.

So here is my problem. I went to pick her up in another state. About half way through my 7 hour drive home the car just stalled on the highway. Before the stalling issue I was in some stop and go traffic and smelled a burning smell. The temp gauge was a little more than halfway up on the gauge and not close the the red so I don't believe the burning smell was heat related but not sure. It restarted right away but would stall again as soon as I would try to accelerate After parking along the highway for about an hour to let traffic thin out I restarted it and was on my way again. When I restarted it idled rough for a minute or two but then leveled out and ran fine the rest of the way home. The only issue I noticed was the boost gauge was bouncing up and down for the first 15 minutes or so even though my tach was only around 2300 rpms. I stopped two more times after this issue to eat and get gas and each time it fired right up and ran fine.

When I got home I parked the car in the garage and all seemed fine. The next morning the car would not start. I checked spark and she does not have any.

The only thing I notice when I crank her is the tach jumps to around 4000 rpms but instantly falls back down. Is this normal, I don't know.

Any ideas on what to test and where my problem may be? I have checked for loose relays in the front and the back. Is the boost gauge related to the no spark issue or are these two separate issues?

Thanks for any help, Mike
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)