View Single Post

Help with trans - reverse detent too deep?

My car has an odd problem...it will not go into reverse at times. Essentially, you can't shift the lever left at all, though 1-4 work fine. It felt like the gate slot was just missing...

Did the usual, adjusted it, shift coupler replaced, etc...No difference. 1 out of every ten times, it just won't go...

Figured since the motor was out for other things, this would be a great time to fix this . Even with the motor out, and a large T-handle on the shifter, it just won't go into reverse regularly. Remove the rear detent, and everything works perfectly.

What I found was interesting. Looking through the inspection cover, the rear detent seems to sit about 1/16 inch too deep. It will not allow the shift rod wedge plate to rotate counterclockwise, ride on the detent plunger and raise it, and engage reverse. If you nudge the detent up even so slightly with your finger, or a philips screwdriver, it works fine... I hope I am explaining this well...

I took out the reverse detent, and the end of the plunger is scratched up, where the shift shaft/wedge is hitting it. Again, it sits 1/16inch too low... Rather than engaging the rounded end, the mechanism hits the body of the plunger

Am I missing something here? Is this due to wear and tear? I could file 1/16 of off the detent plunger and round it off/polish it, and it would work fine. I just don't want to defeat some kind of reverse safety mechanism.

Guys, is there something I am missing here? Some kind of adjustment? I just don't see it...

Thanks, Bo
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)