View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100 View Post
Wanted to update everyone and thank you for all the great suggestions on things to check.

It turns out it was something real simple. The wire from the coil to the distributor was loose on the coil side. I pushed it into the coil until it snapped into place. No problems since!

She is running great now except I am not getting boost beyond .4. I can hear the turbo spool but I do not feel very much power so I think the gauge is correct. Any suggestions on what to check for on this issue. Should I start a new thread?

Thanks again,

Mike M
If she's running fine and smooth otherwise with no other weird symptoms, but just not getting boost beyond .4 bar, then my guess is your wastegate is stuck partially open. Can you feel/hear exhaust coming out the WG exhaust pipe when sitting in the driveway and revving the engine? Could be corroded valve stem and/or guide hanging the valve up from closing completely, or a badly worn guide letting exhaust gas escape. Pretty simple job to pull the WG off and take a look inside, apply some air pressure (around 15 pounds) to see if the valve is opening (and then closing) completely.

If the WG checks out ok, then the turbo might be showing some problems not spinning up all the way....but I'm still thinking WG is more apt to be the problem. You could of course have an air leak post-turbo compressor, but you would see that in poor running symptoms as your mixture would go pig rich.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)