View Single Post

I'm running the ex Jerry Brinkley 3.2 Carrera Turbo over here in the UK. It dyno'd at 370bhp at the crank at 0.53bar when it arrived, and I've been running it on trackdays since.

Last week I finally got round to having it professionally mapped. It was scary. The guy showed me the fuel maps. The off throttle map in particular was really lean - for me that's gunning it down the straight then lifting and braking to take the bend. The engine's making boost, but the fuelling is low, in this case too low. The standard US spec injectors (smaller than ROW) were maxed out; the fuel pump on full boost was running at 6bar. It was impossible to get the map safe across the range so we agreed to turn the wick down and map to a safe 330 as I'm off to Spa with it in a few weeks.

I'm just in the process of sorting bigger injectors (804's), which funnily enough were stock on big Volvo's of the period. With those in, the pressure will come off the pump and we should get back to around the original figures, but fuelled safely right across the range. The 944T ones are bigger still but there's no real advantage of going that far.

FWIW the off the shelf Protomotive turbo chip hard cut was set at 7000rpm! We turned that down too. I always knew it was lean at the top so I'd been using no more than 6K, turned out to be a good decision, the max power and torque was done by then anyway.
Jerry did a great job and running on the road I don't suppose it would have been a problem as the engines not being worked hard, but for the track I need a bit more headroom. Drivability and reliability are more important to me than ultimate HP.

My advice; get some bigger injectors in at the start and get a live remap, you should be good to go then.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)