Thread: Muffler Choices
View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Maybe someone could make one for sale (Brian?). Unfortunately, knowing what I spent on material alone I bet it would be at least $2K.
I'm glad you mensioned cost. Most folks are not familiar with the expense of good materials. 3" 321 is several dolars an inch with no bends. I priced out a set of headers in Inconel and was quoted $5000 in raw materials alone. That is before you bend a pipe or strike a torch. God help you if a mistake is made during production!

You have a great design there and we are getting ready for the 3rd generation of my muffler which will look similar to what you have. What I have seen, for the typical 375whp 930, is that bends make no significant difference if the ID is large enough to minimize back pressure. The 180 bend we make has a larger ID than the pipes leading to and from it.

I don't know how quiet Juan's car needs to be but a setup like you have would work very well in his application.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)