View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
puffing smoke from oil tank

I just recently noticed puffing smoke coming from my oil tank when i check the oil with the car idling. There is also a slight miss that comes and goes when driving the car. I can feel a loss in power and the engine is vibrating more than normal when the missing is prevalent.
I smelled the puffing smoke and it does not smell like fuel and it is not water vapor burning off either because I have driven the car for an 8 hour drive and it was plenty warm before checking the oil, temps were 200-210 on the gage when checking.
I have yet to take a compression test and pull the plugs as part of my diagnosis, but wanted to check the forum in the meantime before my schedule allows me to start removing the upper engine parts to get the plugs out.
The puffing is definitely related to the engine firing order and my guess is that i have damaged some rings on a cylinder, but want others opinions.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)