View Single Post

what could have caused this???

1987 Turbo with 964 cams. I just finished a top end overhaul and things were great. I take it easy just because I don't want to break anything expensive and its all expensive. I drove the car to work and dropped it off at the building car wash kiosk. Later at 5:00PM I picked it up, started it up and it ran a little rough at idle. I didn't get more then 5 miles down the road and felt no power. It was like driving an old VW (sounded like that too). I went right to my mech shop and he tested compression. The whole right side was 40-50psi ! He said the wash guy must have over-reved it or I must have seriously down-shifted at some point. Upon taking the heads off we found those small half moon markings on top of the 3 pistons. He said I "kissed" the exhaust valves and that was the lost of comp. Question #1 -I didn't down shift as suggested but even if I had, would this cause the pistons to catch-up with the valves and touch? #2 - another guy said it could have 'jumped" a tooth on the cam sprocket ?? #3 - does this mean I can't rev the engine at all?? Anybody's experience with this issue that wants to chime in would be appreciated as I am at total loss that any of these two possibilities could cause this much damage to a pampered car.

Thank you all in advance

MV in Miami
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)