View Single Post

OK, so leaving work today the car wouldn't start. When I turn the key to ON I got a short (1/4 sec) running of the fuel pumps, then studder start then die.

But I was prepared with my wires. I checked the voltage on pin 85 of the yellow relay and before starting it was zero (Air flow =0), then it went to about 12V when cranking (Air flow not equal 0) just as I would have expected.

So I measured pin 87a to ground and here's where the weird stuff is happening. During the next no-crank I measured something like 7V which means that the Speed relay has a large voltage across its contacts. The next crank the car started and the voltage when to about 1.2V.

This is still too much for a relay contact. I should be reading less than 0.5V or so.

When a relay closes and you get 7V across it, there's a good indication of oxidized contacts. So where is this speed relay?

I don't think it's the over pressure switch since that wouldn't change from start to start.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)