View Single Post
Driver

Garage
There are two areas for oil drainage. One is the sump/crankcase. Open that up and 3-4 quarts will come out.

Then there's the oil tank behind the right rear wheel. Open that up and 7 or 8 quarts will come splashing out.

I don't worry about the residual oil left in all the hoses and oil coolers. That's more trouble than it's worth. If you're really that anal, you can put in some sacrificial cheapo oil, run it for a few minutes, then drain that and toss it all out. It'll help dilute out the residual stuff you mention.

I'm not a fan of the new Mobil 1 stuff, though the V-twin stuff at around $9-10 per quart is OK. Do a search under "ultimate oil thread" in the 911 technical section for more oil info than you can shake a stick at. Actually I highly recommend you read that thread.

In the future, you can buy the Mahle OC-54 filter from our host for about $9.

The grey "mayonnaise" you see on the drain plug is from condensation from not allowing the motor to fully warm up while driving it. Too many short trips. Take it on longer trips where the motor fully warms up and that'll disappear.

Last edited by Noah930; 06-02-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)