View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I've had my engine out only once to rebuild the tranny.
I first put the car up on jack stands on all 4 corners, with the front sitting on 18" tall jack stands & the rear up on 24" stands that were also sitting on 10" blocks of wood.
Took about 20 minutes to get her up and stable. Another 20 minutes to get the intercooler/air cleaner/electrical harness/ fuel lines/ rear mounts, disconnected top side. Then another 30 minutes to get all the bottom side oil lines/tranny cross member/clutch cable/throttle linkage/ shift linkage/heater hoses disconnected......and out she came.
Went back in in reverse, only slightly quicker. Used only a nice single Snap-On floor jack, and a double thickness 3/4"plywood engine support that I cut to size before hand. The plywood support is nothing more than a rectangle shape, that supports on the exhaust & engine case. Really pretty stable, and once you find the balance point it's very controllable.
I do have to admit though, that I have tons of VW bug experience, and can have a bug engine out completely from start to finish in exactly 20 minutes.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 06-04-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)