View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Two floor jacks - lifts are for sissies....

And I don't remove the bumper either - jack it high enough and it'll fit.
2 floor jacks!!! And you're calling lift jockeys sissies!
I'm a one jack kinda guy and proud of it

Wooden "adaptor" is shaped to fit the underside of crankcase and is screwed to jack plate.

Front wheels are on 2" timber so that spoiler doesn't get crunched.
Jack car up to full height of jack and place axle stands under TB covers.

Disconnect everything and lower engine all the way down.
I don't have enough clearance to roll the engine out unless I remove bumper so I have one trick up my sleeve ... the axle stands I built have a 1" threaded shaft and nut. I just screw the nut down to lift the car the extra few inches I need to clear the bumper or the valance, if it is fitted.

I use a U-shaped trolley to take the engine from the jack so I can wheel it around easier.

The two key parts to this are the engine adaptor (which fits under the balance point) and the screw-type axle stands.
The time taken getting the engine out is really just limited to how fast you can disconnect everything and drain oil. I have done this many times on my own and it usually takes about 2 hours at a liesurely pace.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)