View Single Post

Mine had the Weltmeister short shifter when I got the car. It was pretty good then but there was a little slop and room for improvement.

Somone had already brazed the longer Weltmeister bottom section on to the origonal steel shifter rod and thats a solid improvement over JB weld epoxy glue the kit mentions using for that.

I replaced the ball joint plastic bushing that goes at the bottom of the shifter and the shift rod plastic bushing and snugged up the origonal shifter pivot nut and greased it all real good.

Then I made my own rubber bushings for the rear coupler out of AC barrier hose that fit real sug and makes it much tighter than a stock one. They work great and the stock coupler bushings have for/aft unneccesary and unpleasent clearance built in.

After that the weltmeister short shifter is tight and feel great. If the rear coupler is adjusted correctly the transmissions spring loaded detent balls makes it difficult to select reverse by mistake.
I have to push the shift knob to the left pretty firmly and then forward to get it into reverse. It would never go into reverse by mistake on my car.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)