View Single Post

Garage
Praise the Turbo Gods

During the last maintenance routine check in aims to repair a small leak I found that my Old Dinosaur Turbonetics T series's turbo was about ready to retire, an oil leak was beginning to develop and the wheel clearly had signs of an abusive relationship with his car owner .

One thing let to another, and I start to investigate what was the hottest turbo out there and why and who was using it, Immediately I found that AMS has already dyno'd the Billet 67 turbo in a T3 .82. Housing and at 40psi it made 824awhp to all 4 wheels, AMS is one of the first places i look when I'm looking to do something wild since those folks seem to be always ahead of the pack, from there I made some phone calls and Supras are making 800-900hp with this turbo, few more calls and the Skylines which, by the way, are a 2.8 liter engine are making 790-850hp with the same turbo.

I had 3 different engine platforms with different liter engines, so I took the plunge and went with the;

Precision Compressor wheel 67/65
Precision est. 900hp
67mm compressor wheel
65mm turbine wheel

The 6765 Billet Wheel, From what I understand has a major advantage because how the billet wheel spools so fast. It creates more power at a lower RPM than the comparably sized cast wheel. The Billet Wheels are lighter weight and stronger. Therefore, it is easier to spool up.

All that is great on paper having gone through an arsenal of tubos I was VERY skeptical, the first thing that caught my eye was how small this turbo is compared to my huge T series turbo which was capable of making 675rwhp @ 28 psi of boost.

I was already depressed that another $900.00 was going down the drain, after installing the turbo and relocating the oil drain, I was ready for the real test, the test drive, Immediately I noticed that the car sounded completely different, next I can see the boost coming in at 2600rpm! from my 4200 rpm.

Once I got to my testing area the results were mind blowing, the car feels like a completely new car, MUCH stronger, boosts comes in very early without any lag, it was almost impossible to get on the gas, look at the boost gauge and look at the rpm all at once, since I had to fight to keep her straight, I was only able to test at 20 psi of boost, the car comes alive very violent with plenty of power on demand.

I will drive it for a bit to get used to the new power and then I will see how she feels at 32 psi of boost, judging from my seat dyno I feel that I have finally found the perfect turbo for my combination, dyno runs and 1 mile run times will tell me the real true.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)