View Single Post
I would rather be driving

Thank you for the response. My friend has an E36 track car. Not an M but he has fun flogging it around at speed. He finds it very easy to drive fast - as does anyone who has had seat time in one of these cars. He has been looking for a 911 for about 2 years and this car was interesting enough to take notice. He is a very competent person and will have no problems wrenching himself. He is just not as familiar with the marque.

The 911 in question is less than $10K. The owner knows ZERO about these cars. The motor is extremely dry yet not currently running due to ignition problems. It needs a cap/rotor and new "green" wire. No high-dollar fix here. I have not done compression and leak down yet. If my friend decides to go forward we will do a full inspection. I will do this PPI myself and feel confident that I can find as much or more than a shop would.

At this point the motor is stock and the 915 should hold. The car will likely get an EFI conversion and turbo swap to lessen the drivetrain shock on transition to full boost. This will also make driving easier.

The suspension is fine but needs new bushings at all 4 corners. I can install plastic for about $100 and a days labor. yes, plastic works fine if you take a bit of time to fit correctly. They also fit the budget.

The car would likely be stripped for a roll bar, track seats and harness. Interior condition is not a concern.

Eventual goal would be to install a RUF or RSR style bumper to smooth out the look and drop a few pounds.

If I go see the car I will take some pictures and post for reference.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)