View Single Post

Garage
911 w/930mtr

Hello everyone,

I'm the guy that bought the car.

First point of business. Thank you Jamie for answering all my questions and your patience for my ignorance with this car. I look forward to getting this car squared away with you, Morrie, and any of the other great Porsche guys I met over the years on our drives as I followed in my 64 vette.

I am very excited about acquiring this car and thankful that was able to. I have been looking at 911's for a little while and test drove one not too far from here. It was just not in the cards at the time. A good friend let me drive his 912 and I was impressed at how it well it handled for a an old car and how quickly it accelerated.

I have always been around cars, mostly Chevys. My Dad restores them as a hobby, mostly focusing on the triple 5's with some 60's muscle thrown in there. He is a "purists", so you can rest assured there were no losses of a classic car to customization. I however have strayed a little from that path. I have one (64 vette roadster) that I will restore to "correct for the period" and "correct" trim and all the rest are for fun, this car falling into the latter.

I am currently attempting to track an e36 (325is). My purpose for the bimmer is to work on my car handling skills and become a better driver in order to move up to the next level of car. I really enjoy finding the limits of a car and even more my limits.

Okay, now for the car.

I came across the car in an ad and made arrangements to look at it. Upon visiting with the seller, it was very appearent that he did not have much experience with this car. So, as with any "deal" the responsibility is now solely on my shoulders to get as much information on the car both from inspection and what little the owner knows.
The PO's story about the mechanical history is well...confusing. So, I leaned on Jamie (OP) for help. Jamie walked me through on the phone what to look at and offered advice. So far, he is batting 100. A great guy and great resource! I made a couple visits to look at the car. On the last visit, I asked to put the well worn rotor in the car to see if it runs and how it runs. Mostly wanted to hear any noises. After some coaxing it started and ran with what would seem like a miss and a cycling "pssst" noise.
After talking with my friends and surfing the web, I decided to make an offer. Shortly later we had a deal.

I haven't gotten totally into or under the car yet, I've been working to get two cars in the garage. Here's where I'm at so far.

This thing is like a time capsule right out of the 80's with a phone on the floor, a yamaha cassette head unit (high end at the time), massive yamaha amp in the front trunk, and MTX speaker boxes in the rear. The best thing, there's a cassette in the head unit and what is it? Van Halen 1984! So funny...

I have majority of the early paperwork. I even got the original window sticker. The car is accessorized well and everything seems to work, even the sunroof. The a/c was serviced to the tune of $1600 in 2005. The interior is not bad. The upper dash is shot. The lower knee pad appears to be in good shape. The seats are in good condition with exception of the driver's seat. The 915 tranny was recently rebuilt (I need to ask the PO the name of the shop again...) and claims he got a head bolt recently repaired. The "green wire" is bare a one point, no insulation and there are some wires that are not connected. As my friend Jamie pointed out not a real concern due the conversion.

The car has been repainted, but I don't see any evidence of a hit. I don't see any corrosion. All the soft suspension bushings need replaced and possibly the front struts, but the rears are bilsteins and appear to be near new.

All the glass appears to be original, with exception with the front windshield and I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for the paperwork. It matches all the other glass.

The plan is to convert to EFI. I think I want to put a g50 trans in I really like the way they shift. Upgrade the suspension and seats. I'll probably change out the turbo for a k27 unit, upgrade the exhaust, and lighting. I would like to put a 4 point roll bar in with harnesses for the track and a few other things. I would like to keep this car streetable and managable that also means keeping a/c and a stereo.

Anyways, sorry for the long thread. I am very excited to get into this car, but I still need to tend to my bimmer for track days.

That's all for now. Thanks again Jamie for your help in this acquisition!

John
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)