View Single Post
928: Serial Enabler

You askied, "Where do I go from here?".

Lots of possibilities, you've clearly got skills.

Every rebuild I've followed here, done right, seems to cost far more than fully operational $5K or $6K 928. If going down that path of rebuild anyway, then consider Danglerb's block. He seems to consistently provide honest and thoughtful information, and fair assessments of his own parts supply, and likely can hook you up with most parts you need to proceed. Be very wary of the sleeving or resurfacing options (for mechanical and commerce reasons).

Engines are out there for transplant, but the difficulty is weeding-out the good ones without throwing money down the tube. We've seen a couple guys get burned for bad engines, one with scoring similar to yours. I think its common to get that grit in the cylinder.

Consider also expanding the range of engine possibilities to include the 82/83/84 USA cars. Due to production numbers, you will have more chance to find a running one that you can compression test in either a wreck or an interior/exterior-neglect car. Coupled with a 5 speed, it will give good fun. With patience, a whole running car with bad cosmetics for $1000 to $1500 is a very good possibility.

On the USA cars, I just got back from driving a USA 84 auto to Banner Elk, then across to Johnson City and back up the highway to Virginia. I had every bit as much power as I could handle. Going uphill on 81 at 75+, a little more pedal gives a downshift and significant acceleration. Careful, or you're at 90 uphill in a very short span of time. No slouch.

The concept of S engines and hybrid engines is interesting, as is concept of 32V engines. But the USA early engines are more plentiful due to production numbers. They deliver more than enough power to give a whole family hill climb thrills in the NC mountains. I've been driving a 32V 5 speed recently, helping sort it out. Also, a 5 speed Euro S. Both have nasty acceleration, but its uncommon for me or the owner to use all that much right foot on a routine basis. Overkill.

Are you looking for an economic 928 driver or a hyper-performer?

Last edited by Landseer; 06-14-2010 at 04:38 AM..
Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)