View Single Post
Infidel

The coil is mounted on the rear cross member, and as i don't have any seal around the intercooler like on the 993t, water just pours all over it when it rains. The dizzy gets wet too, which doesn't help. I'm not entirely sure how it's killing the coil, only that it's now killed two in short order. I spent half the journey home from Le Mans on a low loader

I can rectify the water issue, build a shroud around them etc. But now i realise that the spark has so much effect, (obvious when you know i guess), i was just wondering if there was something i could buy, upgrade, add-on, to make sure i had a kick ass spark at all times.
I can't help but think the stock coil is a little weedy, and that it will be operating past it's limits at my boost level, and with doing so many flat out runs with long spells at WOT i would benefit from a stronger spark.

I read something about dwell cycles or something, and that some coils when pushed hard, don't have time to build a full charge for each spark. For instance at 4000rpm you are getting a good strong spark over the 6 cylinders. But at 7000rpm it doesn't have chance to recharge and send a good spark to each plug. I'm just asking for peoples experiences, and whether i'm worrying about nothing.

I'll have a look at the MSD 6AL though, cheers Rocket
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)