View Single Post

Garage
So far today I made the following progress:
- replaced starter with hi torque starter, used the jumper mod described in this thread. Starter works great.
- removed fan and alternator. Removed all leads and grounds and brushed, cleaned, and re mounted. I saw no issues in this space.

I am still stumped.

If I connect a positive jumper lead to the starter positive, and ground the other jumper to the trans, the car starts with the ignition key. Alternator light works, and I register over 14volts on the auxiliary battery so the alternator is working.

I notice if I do not connect the aux battery, but have the switch on, the alternator light does not light up and the CDI does not whine. Two more clues?

Does anyone know where the CDI gets its power from? Is there a starter relay somewhere, or some sort of relay that woudl prevent the starter from getting power to the 12volt pole as well as prevent the CDI from getting power?

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)