View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Good info Jim. I've always run mine right to the coils, but I've never had a problem with start up. Maybe being in the south helps...

Also, make sure you have your wires to the coax from the dizzy wired properly. If not, it will run poorly

Here's what I've used in the past:

MSD Installation Instructions On A Porsche 911

1- The large red wire goes to the battery (best to avoid spike) or Positive lug on the starter solenoid.
2- The large black wire goes to ground.
3- The small orange wire goes to the Positive side of the coil.
4- The small black wire goes to the Negative side of the coil.
5- The small red wire goes to switched Pos.
5- The white wire is used to trigger a MSD shift light.
6- The violet wire to the shield.
7- The green wire to the center conductor.

I used a tach adapter, but others have been successful without it. In this case the white wire would not be used, unless you want to trigger a shift light.

Since the Turbo uses a magnetic pick up type distributor, the violet & green wires conduct the trigger voltage to the MSD. This is phase sensitive and must be connected correctly otherwise the car will not start or run poorly. Connect the green wire to the center conductor and violet wire to the shield.

I didn't want to cut up my harness, so I unplugged the wiring connector off the CDI and connected my wires there (the ones from the distributor).

Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)