View Single Post

The oil lines in your pictures are reniforced high pressure rubber or metal oil lines and last a long time. Even if they are dryrotted on the outer surface the inner surface and reinforcing fibers are usually still good. Without all the heat cycles of driving the car yours are probably OK but they usually start to leak slowly under the crimps on the ends as the rubber shrinks with age and heat cycles.

The critical oil line I mentioned before is the large suction oil line going from the bottom side of the oil tank to the metal return line under the engine oil cooler.
It is not reinforced at all and is only molded rubber and could be dried out and hard while looking good on the surface. You can't tell without bending and squeezing it and watching for cracks in the rubber.

Mine, an '87 looked fine and one day I had it removed from the oil tank because I always disconnect it during oil changes to let out more used oil.
I flexed it and noticed lots of cracks appearing in the rubber and then it broke into 2 pieces because it was dried out and the rubber was hard. If that happened while the motor was running it would have immediately spun the bearings and siezed the motor from lack of oil...

anyway, hope that helps..
Its this one and they are only $24:
930-107-233-02-M21

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-107-233-02-M21

If you replace it don't buy it from v e r t e x in miami because they sell bad quality asian aftermarket ones. ...i know because i bought one from them since i wanted it overnight.
Make sure it is made in Germany by an oem supplier.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)