View Single Post
Registered

Garage
OK, today I took apart the 14 pin connector in the right rear fender area.

On the female (engine) connector...if I connect 12v to positive pole I get power through the red wire which is PIN 14 I believe. So, I conclude the red main wire to the starter is a good circuit. Is this a good conclusion?

On the male side (car body) Pin 1, which is yellow gets good power when key is on. I believe this powers the solenoid when switched. So this seems good. Also, when I hit the key the solenoid closes, so I figure this circuit is good. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

This leaves me with the red wire on male side of connector at pin 14. I believe this is supposed to be powered all times when key is on, and I believe this would power the positive pole on the starter. Can someone tell me if this is a right or wrong conclusion?

Pin 14 red wire on male side does not seem to deliver any voltage to the engine. I assume it should. If correct then this is my first real clue to follow.

Does anyone know where that red wire comes from inside the car? For example, can I trace it from the ignition switch? Or is there a relay? I checked it on the battery end and it delivers voltage, so it seems my open circuit is between the frunk wall and the rear 14 pin connector.

Can anyone else help me with some advice or knowledge?

Thanks

I have looked at all the 14 pin threads and they have not helped me beyond this point.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)