View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Carfax is great but it is just an amalgamation of data supplied by people that are not infallible...I would not dismiss the car solely on the basis of the Carfax report.
I agree 100%...while Carfax is an easy, handy tool, it's but one tool to be used in looking at a car; and an imperfect tool at best. When Carfax first showed up in the late '90s I ran reports on a couple cars that I owned, and received a huge surprise when Carfax told me that a car I'd owned since new (and still own) had a mileage discrepancy...my then-9500 mile car had been reported as a 77,000 mile car during an emissions test 3 years earlier, when it had 7700 miles. This clerical mistake by one of the incredibly highly-trained, always meticulous (and courteous) professionals at the DMV ended up eating hours and hours of my life to get it straightened out, even though I'm never selling the car, it was a matter of general principle.

Long-story short, Carfax IS, as stated by others, a collection of information entered manually - often by morons - over the course of a car's life, and it's unreliability should therefore be as obvious as it is that the car in question here likely didn't travel over 100,000 miles in a year...

All that said, I'd pass on this car because of the mods, terrible re-skin work on the front seats, oblivious owner (often equals oblivious service), and the fact that, my feelings about Carfax aside, this car has a "story."
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)