View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
Nice work on removing the turbo stud!

BTW: Why didn't you just 'plug up' the passenger side outlet on the new muffler? It appears that the intake is the same diameter as the outlet on the driver side?
Mooney, this is what we originally had in mind, to block off the passenger side outlet.

The exhaust we started to modify, is similar to this, "Monty" -exhaust:

FS: B&B exhaust for 930 Turbo

I felt awful starting to cut such a well built exhaust, and it was light-weight too. If one would do it again, I would perhaps cut the rear valance, but the milk has spilled already.

Well, we started cutting the passenger side outlet, in view of welding a plate to block it off. What we found inside, is a relatively small, 46mm diameter exit inside the larger 76 mm(?) exit that we see from the outside.

Everything okay so far, apart from me unhappy about cutting the nice exhaust. Then thought that perhaps it is a good an idea to check what is on the other side. So we cut the other, driver's side outlet too. What we found there, is what we expected, a smaller 46mm diameter hole. But what we did not expect to find, is a 46mm pipe coming from inside "the Monty". So, there is a small diameter pipe that goes right inside the muffler.

So it seems the "Monty" is more complicated from inside, than it appears outside. We reasoned a single 46mm outlet is way too small for a largish (K27-7200) turbo unit. At this point, we viewed inside the "Monty", and thought that it will make a right mess, if we will try to enlarge the driver's side "inner 46mm" outlet. So in the end, we have decided to bring the passenger outlet to the left hand side, rather than blocking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
GKeep an eye on them, as I had several fall out over and had to replace over the years...
Already today one brass nut was on the way out by several millimetres. Have tightened all four, thanks A930Rocket, will now follow up the situation.

It has been a long story about a smallish issue, but I am quite pleased there are now 4 studs holding the exhaust. Also, the '76 car now sounds a typical 911, like a lawnmover and a vw beetle humming together, and I like it. Should go through technical inspection too..
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)