Thread: Turbo on a 3.0
View Single Post

Garage
A 930 "J" pipe should go right on your old stock exhaust if you still have it. This is what you would bolt your turbo and wastegate to. Megasquirt can run both your fuel injection and ignition. This is easy to do using a Ford EDIS-6 controller and coil pack controlled by MS. I think I paid all of 25 dollars for an assortment of EDIS parts at a local U-pick auto recycler.
A big impediment is the CIS mass airflow sensor and getting silicone or equivalent boots to fit without leaking or blowing off with boost and then being able to deal with the necessary fueling enrichment. Converting to EFI with a 3.2 intake manifold makes this much easier but dramatically increases the cost and imposes a considerable time burden for tuning.
Unless you convert to the 930 intake manifold, the stock intercooler will be difficult to use without considerable alteration. I used an inexpensive 12X12 side to side inter-cooler with my first iteration and it worked well with the 3.2 manifold.
You might be able to source a "Y-pipe" for converting your SSI's to a turbo configuration, this has been done.
What ever you do, I highly recommend getting a wide-band O2 sensor/controller with a cockpit gauge to monitor your AFR's.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)