View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Depends on the miles, age and condition of your engine. With too much blowby, a catch can won't do anything. That's the first reason I installed one. Fumes were pouring out of the vent. Took apart the engine and I had the 93 piece ring kit.

Over a weekend of track time, I might use a quart a day/weekend. Just depends on the length and number of sessions. I've drained very little out of the catch can since my rebuild. I use the top to a paint or brake cleaner spray can to drain it. Another good reason to use one is if your engine pukes up oil out of the oil tank, the catch can will contain it vs it going into the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
I have a question concerning the reason for installing the catch can. I do a mix of DE and street driving with my 79 930 and I was wondering if you guys that track your cars started having problems with excessive oil in your intake or air cleaner housing that was attributed directly to increased blowby from the crankcase. The stock 79 930 never had an oil separator from Porsche and I wonder if track driving causes so much more blowby to tax the stock system. My intake has been pretty dry so far but I do see highly increased oil consumption during track days that I am trying to pin down so I can reduce it.
Also how often does the can get full meaning every few 20 minute DE sessions or what?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)