View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The late eightee's cars came with a plastic catch can that has a hose at the bottom to drain collected oil back into the oil tank. It is mounted to the inner fender wall in the space behind the oil tank.

If needed lot of people put heavy duty thick wire gauge chore girl round stainless or bronze coiled wire pan scrubbing pads or something similar in the usually empty catch can to collect more of the small oil droplets in the oil vapors traveling through the can and then it runs and drips down to the bottom of the can.

If nothing else is around, even though it's heavy, I've seen the catch cans filled up with old bolts and whatever to condense or collect oil from the blowby mist.
I know about this and was thinking this is the best solution provided you could find the parts in good condition and retrofit them to the early cars. The automatic drain back to the tank is a nice benefit. I just wonder if Porsche made this change on the later cars because they saw increased blowby as a problem on the turbos when they are driven very hard.

Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)