View Single Post
Formerly known as Syzygy

And the saga continues...

I called the "inspection place" to ask how they determined that the bearing was worn, just to make sure all my bases are covered. He said that it was because of the play and movement of the wheel. I mentioned that I had retorqued the axle nut and the play disappeared. He said to hold on while he spoke to the tech. He called me back and said that the nut was loose because the bearing was worn, and that retorquing it is just masking the problem and did not solve anything, especially with the sealed bearings on the rear. He also claimed that I had over torqued the nut as it is supposed to be 230, not the 350ish that I did. Isn't the 230 lbs-ft for the castellated nut? That's not the kind I have.

Is there any merit to this? Do I still have a problem? Though I would likely get this car to pass an inspection, I don't want to track it if possibly unsafe. So again I ask for some more assistance and suggestions.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)