View Single Post

Back from Parade. Great fun. 356C ran over 1000 miles like a sewing maching.

I took my RPM transducer to a general electronics repair guy. He checked the transistors and diodes and had no difficulty finding a broken lead to the relay. Easy fix. Call it a vibration failure, I guess. Cost $25.00 which I had to force him to take. Thanks for the insistance to fix it myself. I didnt do it myself, but learned that it is an easy board to diagnose at the component level. Fuel shut-off system working fine.

The lead to look carefully at the distributor advance curve was very helpful. Although there was nothing wrong with the distributor advance, it contributed greatly to my high idle. I have some leakage through the middle two throttle bodies. Not horrible and the outer four seem much better. I balanced them at a low flow and the idle came down to a consistent 1200 when warm. With the fuel cut-off working, I dont hang up at the 1800-2000 point. The main pump screw is unchanged, the car runs fine at speed and the idle is tolerable, actually very satisfactory.

The car starts quickly, but runs very rich initially and idles at a very low speed. It doesnt even move the tach. I can set the lever, but it is touchy, until it warms up and settles in at 1200 rpm. There is some smoke and it isnt pleasant to let it sit and idle until it warms up. This isnt perfect, but it is much better than I had.

So, I still have the dramatic change from a low to high idle, but it is at better levels. Very driveable until I learn more. I am going to get it on a CO meter when I can.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)