View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
Did you guys see the twin turbo headers on Pat Williams GT1 car in the September edition of Excellence?

He bridges both headers into a single wastegate, so much for keeping the pulses separated.
Can you post a picture of that? I would love to see it! Thx.

I agree with Brian. One example dose not prove it is best.

I suspect if there is sufficient length in the primary and secondary tube, and the if the WG connection configuration is of design to inhibit reversion or cross over, a single WG might not kill potential. One might still get the increase in efficiency and VE that keeping the exhaust cycles from fighting with each other might deliver.

BMW seems to think there is a benefit as they have gone to split scroll turbos on there new 6 (changing from a twin turbo configuration) and twin turbo 8.

To be fair, I do not know how much improvement we are talking about. Is it more or less than the 2-3% improvement in TQ we get from twin plugs that allow less timing advance for less pumping losses? I do not know.

I suspect a design like Brian's equal length single turbo headers can be tweaked to get most of the benefit of a split twin turbo system with a less complexity, weight, expense. Even with a single WG if done right.

With the right modifications this might even apply to a shorty style to but it would not have the scavaging potential of the equal length system.

Not an expert, just what I suspect to date.

Last edited by 911st; 07-10-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)