View Single Post
beancounter

Those leakdown numbers appear high, like possibly the test was done with the engine cold rather that hot. While the absolute figures may be high, the consistency across the cylinders is perhaps a more important telltale (and in this case a good sign) as different gauges and testing methods (hot or cold engine, and amount of air pressure used) can perhaps yield varied results even for the same engine.

My thoughts? You should never have oil leaking from between the top of the cylinder and the head, that would mean oil in the combustion chamber which is a very bad sign. Oil leaking at the cylinder base or at the head/cam housing interface is not normal. Fixing it properly requires a teardown of the top-end at minimum. However, a small oil leak is not really a big deal and you can drive a car like that forever really, so long as the drips don't bother you.

More thoughts. The headstuds may be fine, and a broken one might not even show up on compression or leakdown. Best way to check those is to pull the valve covers and look for the head nuts. This is a 20+ year 930 with 50k miles. Many of these cars have at least had a top-end rebuild by that mileage. I would add at least 10k to the purchase price in my head and see if I was comfortable with that thought before pulling the trigger.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)