Thread: Turbo on a 3.0
View Single Post

A stock 930 motor with a cheap straight through muffler will make more HP than a budget low boost SC motor if that matters.

There is more to turboing than the motor. Brakes, suspension, tires, limited slip... should be considered to maintain a safe and balanced set up. Then there is a differance between a stressed turbo SC and a understressed 930 motor.

If money is a concern the cheapest is going to be a full 930 take off as Brian notes. I forget but I think you will not be able to use the 930 dist.

You can also build a low boost budget system using the stock SC ignition and intake. If you have the SC dist that has a vac tube to both sides it can easily be converted to retard timing on boost with just a plumbing change.

On the intake side, most build a suck through like on the 930.

However you could do a blow through which, in my opinion, has some potential advantages. First is easer to plumb. Just put an air cleaner on the turbo and run a pressure tube up to where the air cleaner is. Make a plate to replace the air cleaner lid and attach it to the pressure tube and you are mostly done.

It should have less lag as there will be no restriction on the turbo intake trying to suck through the metering sustem and several feet of plumbing. Should not have to do much more than bump the CO/AFR up to 250hp or so. More than that and you may have to play with lowering control pressure and or bumping system pressure (adding a simple shim).

As to boost. A late SC runs 9.3/1 compression. If you run about 4psi boost it would be like running a stock 7/1 compression 930 at stock boost.

If you run 6 psi it would be like running a 930 at 1 bar. If you go there you will need a good intercooler.

Assuming a stock SC makes 200hp. That should give you about about 250 to 280hp.

I would guess a stock 930 motor with sport muffler .9 bar boost and a little adjustment should be in the 330hp range or about 50hp with lot more room for future growth if desired and money latter allows.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)