View Single Post
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
I think putting a small housing on a big wheel is not as good as putting a big housing on a small wheel.

I think clock time to boost is more important than RPM to boost. Many turbo's can make it to 1 bar at 4000 RPM starting at 2500 RPM in 2nd gear. The point is which one can do it quickest isn't it?
I wondered which would be a better compromise. But in the end swapping housings was easier than sending the turbo back to Bullseye. When I asked around about housing/wheel swaps nobody could tell me which would be better. Boost response (initial onset) and time to peak boost have both greatly increased. In 2nd gear i'm seeing full boost by 3000rpm, not 4000rpm. The car is much better in around town driving than it was even with the K27. I am more than pleased with spool up now I need to dyno it and see if there are any negatives. I'll get some pics later

to comment on your first sentance above. I've seen, in my limited experience, a few guys swap to larger housings in the quest for more power. One particular guy with a 5.3liter V8 had a single T4 turbo with a P-trim wheel and .68 exhaust housing. The car was running out of steam at 675rwhp on the dyno, they swapped on a .96 housing and saw less than 25rwhp gain. A close friend of mine swapped a P-trim wheel for a Q-trim on his T4 60-1 turbo and the truck ran 5 mph faster in the 1/4 mile. I'm not saying which is better, but I think the wheel flows the air and the housing dictates how much of that air impacts the wheel. Either way, I couldn't be happier right now.

Last edited by drmatera; 07-11-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)