View Single Post

hello, I have put some 30 meters (+30 yards) of exhaust wrapping around the exhaust.
- in between layers I have put aluminium foil, same stuff people use in cooking around kitchen.
- one does need to remove the exhaust for adding the wrapping... without removing I don't think it is going to work.

Rear bumper... I have put aluminium foil in layers to the side facing exhaust. (needs bumper removal ideally) Glued together with polyurethane foam. Polyurethane perhaps is not the best for really hot places, however seems to work fine for me (not burning). Air is a good insulator, anything that keeps the aluminium layers detached, and does not burn, and glues aluminium foil, should be ok. Polyurethane expands quite a lot after applying, I did not put that much between layers, and kept pressing with hands so that there is perhaps only 1-2mm between aluminium foil layers. On a hot weather (in Finland), at nearly 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the rear bumper feels warm like it has been taking sun, but it is not hot.

My reasoning has been, there is "industrial scale" energy coming from exhaust, maybe it is just best to insulate and lead heat out from the tip of the exhaust, rather than ventilation.

Perhaps ventilation is a good an idea, just wrote these thoughts, in case someone does not want to cut rear bumper.

Greetings from hot Finland, around 90F (30C) (hottest for decades this summer)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)