View Single Post

wwest, as I understand it (I am no expert) you should always pull a vacuum to get any air out of the system before adding refrigerant. You also want to check for large leaks with a vacuum before adding refrigerant so it doesn't leak right out into the atmosphere. Autozone and others will sell the vacuum pump and gage set then refund the full price when you return it. They call it a tool loan program.
milt, I would also change the receiver/dryer because they are very inexpensive (ackits.com) For that matter it is also a good idea to flush the system of the old oil (mineral oil) and start by adding a known quantity of oil (ester or Pag) before recharging.
I live in Atlanta and think it is worth the problems of keeping the A/C working. If I lived in Canada I probably wouldn't bother with it. It's also a bit of a hobby for me to work on the car when I have the time. If you would rather just pay someone to do the work it probably wouldn't be worth the cost of fixing it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)