View Single Post

Having driven a couple of hundred track days over the last 6 years let me offer the following observations.

In agreement with milt the suggestion that a DE will damage your paint less than driving on the street is simply not true. You will be running in much closer quarters, at higher speeds and will be pelted in invisible sand. The front of my GT3 which has less than 20k (all track) miles looks awful from sand blasting and I have replaced the windscreen twice as result of track damage.

Apart from this, DEing does not need to do any more damage to your beautiful car. But that will be entirely up to you. Porsches are meant to be driven quickly but they are not meant to be abused. If you arrive at the track and think you are Michael Shoemaker and drive it hard and "fast" you will almost inevitably do it an injury. Your car will reward you with both speed and longevity if you take the time to learn a smooth and consistent technique. Don't worry what any one else is doing do what feels smoothest and least abusive.

Brake pads and fluids are critical. Pads should be at least half width when you finish - not when you start. Always carry a full set of spare pads and the tools and knowledge to change them. Have your brakes flushed and refilled with high temperature break fluid at least annually. Have them bled before every event. ATE blue or gold are fine. That is all I have ever used.

In the early days of DEing I would not worry too much about running temperature. If it is not overheating on the street it will be fine on the track for as long as you are in the Instructed groups - probably further.

Either Jacobs or Deman are very trustworthy people and are both extremely well qualified to help you getting set to go.

Hope this helpful.

Laurence

Last edited by jittsl; 07-14-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)