View Single Post

Possibly I'm not best placed to talk about the removal of that Air-Pump pipe, since it wasn't on my car when I bought it. (Apologies.)

I did originally, however, have the 6 stalks jutting out the bottom of engine - these had been blocked off (but not very well). One of them blew off when I was travelling at, ahem, some speed in the early hours of the morning... I got some proper air-injection 'plugs' from Bert Gear at Berlyn Services (Berlyn Services Porsche Parts) and they were only a couple of quid.

Adjusting the CIS mixture is described on page 95-96 of my copy of the '101 Projects' book. It's a little bit of a pig to get to - often easiest to remove the I/C and Airbox - but there's a spring-loaded adjuster into which you insert an Allen Key. (This adjusts the resting position of the 'plenum') I'm happy to help you, but I'd be surprised if you really needed to adjust the mixture - I should test the CO level once your engine has warmed up for a couple of minutes before you think about adjustment.

Yeah, because they're boxer engines (and oil can usually find a way to drip down the cylinders depending on where the pistons come to rest), they do tend to blow a little bit of smoke at start-up for about 20 seconds. But provided you engine's in reasonable condition (not near death's door), I honestly don't think you'd have a problem with emissions; I'm sure it's only U.S. states like California that they're REALLY tight about that sort of thing?

As regards the horsepower increase, it's just that you won't be running the pump (which saps a little bit of power) in the same way the A/C pump does when that's switched on. The other side effect is that your engine will 'bubble and crack' a little bit more like a rally car when on the over-run. (Say, in 2nd gear, rolling up to a junction.)
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)