View Single Post
Driver

Garage
Ah, I see. I think we're talking about 3 different scenarios. (And this is for downshifting, not upshifting. Even in a straight cut gear transmission you don't have to double clutch while upshifting.)

The first is double clutching (or double de-clutching, if you're using the Queen's English), as described by Fliegler in post #2.

The second is just single clutching and blipping the throttle once while downshifting, which I suspect Elford is referring to, and allowing the synchros to match engine and transmission speed.

The third is just letting the clutch out (no blip of the throttle) while downshifting.

I guess Quick Vic is right: in a synchro gearbox it's not absolutely necessary to double clutch, as a single clutch (and blip of throttle) will be sufficient. I've done it both ways. But double clutching is a nice skill to have for those few times in your life you'll be in a race car with a straight cut gearbox (or road car with broken/worn synchros). If you're doing it right, the accelerated wear on your clutch should be minimal, though I suppose the throwout bearing may wear quicker. But like they say about any race car driver, you can see the mark on the heel of his left shoe.

Last edited by Noah930; 07-28-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)