View Single Post

Garage
do not soak mag in pine-sol

Heads up on the pine-sol degreaser thing.

I have been having great luck with using pine-sol for degreasing parts both steel and aluminum. So, I decided to soak the fan and when I came back after soaking for a long time the top of the "bath" was "foamy"! Umm... dat no good.

So I took the fan out and it was still intact, but pitted and brittle in some places on the edge. I had it in a basket and it almost looks like the basket got plated in mg? Really strange. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the fan or not. I'm going to let it dry out and see what kind of condition it is in.

So, DO NOT SOAK YOUR MAGNESIUM PARTS IN PINE-SOL!

Aluminum is fine. I have soaked aluminum for days without any issue, etching, or shadowing. Also, steel is fine, beware of flash rusting for bare surfaces.

Being new to the forum and Porsches I haven't been able to contribute much. I hope this counts... I may need a fan. Anyone have one for sale?

John
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)